Fall is officially here, and winter is just around the corner. And, while you may love the cooler temps they aren’t always as loving to your hair, not to mention your skin. In fact, the strong winds, drier air, and colder weather can be rather brutal to our skin and hair. However, that doesn’t mean that you must resign yourself to dry skin and luster-less hair. The following tips can help this year be the best ever for your skin and hair.
Minimizing Wintertime Damage to Hair and Skin
- Before putting on a beanie or hat, first wrap your hair in a silk scarf (or just purchase a hat that has a silk lining). This will protect your hair from damage caused by friction as well as minimize the static.
- If you blow dry your hair, be sure to use a good heat styling products such as Aveda’s _Phomollient_.
- Minimize how often you wash your hair. Ideally, keep it to two or three times a week. Be sure to use a sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner such as _Dry Remedy, as they are designed to add moisture.
- Talk to your hair stylist about what type of special treatment you should use on your hair. Each of us has different hair needs, so it is important to use right treatment designed for your hair type.
- Get your hair trimmed regularly, ideally every 6 to 8 weeks, to minimize split ends.
- Schedule a Deep Conditioning treatment or Botanical Hair Therapy appointment with us. These processes are designed to improve your hair’s health by as much as 84%.
- Eat healthy. Foods rich in monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids,such as fish, nuts, olive oil, flax, sardines, and avocados are not just good for your diet but also promote healthy skin and hair. In addition to eating healthy, be sure to drink plenty of water so you can moisturize your hair and skin from the inside out.
- Hate dry skin, brittle nails, and chapped lips? Who doesn’t? Take a few minutes to apply Dry Remedy oil or a Cuticle control to your nails before going to bed, be sure to use lip balm, moisturize your skin daily and add an exfoliation treatment to your routine at least twice a week.
- If you are one to exercise outside – especially by jogging- then be sure to protect your skin from windburn by apply Daily Light Guard. After all, no one wants wintertime sunburn!
- Avoid using excessively hot water when washing your hair as this causes your hair to dry out. Rather, wash your hair in lukewarm water and then finish with a cold water rinse at the end to help seal the hair cuticles.
- As much as possible, avoid blow-drying your hair – especially if your hair is naturally dry! However, do not leave home with wet hair –not only because it’s unhealthy, but also because it will take longer for your hair to dry and the cold weather makes your hair more brittle and thus more likely to have split ends.
All of these actions will make a difference in how you feel and look, but don’t forget about time spent at Bambu! From our luxurious spa treatments, natural hair products, and rejuvenating massages there is so much available to help you boost your morale and keep your hair and skin healthy this winter. Call us today to schedule some time out from the cold weather.